The Ramparts and the Almohad gates
Along with the Hassan Mosque, these ramparts are part of Ribat-al-Fath, the grandiose unfinished urban project of the Almohad caliph Yaâcoub El Mansour. Probably completed in 1197, the ramparts extend over nearly 1,200 meters in length and encircle an area of 450 hectares. They are flanked by 74 towers and perched by three large gates (Bab Laâlou, Bab El Had and Bab Rouah) as well as a smaller gate, Bab Zaër. Each is preciously decorated with engraved patterns. Bab Rouah, remarkable both in terms of its architectural form and its decoration, had an important military function. Today, like Bab Lakbir, it is a renowned art gallery.