The Habous district of Diour Jamaâ
Located a few hundred meters from Bab El Had, on avenue Hassan II, this district was built from the year 1917 to unclog the old town which was then saturated and could not accommodate a new population attracted by this city that was in full development, since it was elevated to the rank of capital in 1912. Designed by the architect A. Laprade and designed by two other French architects, Cadet and Brian, the Habous district of Diour Jamaâ follows the urban and architectural model traditional Moroccan towns while integrating modernist ideas. Regularly laid out, the arteries distribute alleyways and bent dead ends on both sides. The whole forms an autonomous urban unit comprising housing and equipment inside the district (hammam, oven, school, etc.) and outside (the mosque).