Organized by the Ministry Of Youth Culture And Sports, in partnership with the Foundation for the Safeguarding of Cultural Heritage of Rabat, this round table brought together international and national experts and speakers, in particular representatives of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) in order to strengthen the Moroccan legal framework relating to the protection of cultural heritage. The conservation of historical monuments and sites, the registrations, the objects of art and antiquity in Morocco is mainly governed by Law 22-80, promulgated in 1981 and completed in 2006. However, since the enactment of this law, the notion of heritage has broadened to now encompass urban areas, natural sites and cultural landscapes, as well as intangible aspects such as know-how and traditions. It is therefore necessary to bring Law 22-80 into line with current universal standards.
The meeting resulted in several recommendations in order to strengthen the Moroccan legal framework:
- The consolidation of regulations and rules governing cultural heritage into a single national code;
- The incorporation into the body of the law of provisions relating to training institutes and heritage professions, as well as incentives and new funding methods to protect and restore cultural heritage;
- The unification and harmonization, in Moroccan legislation, of terminology and new concepts relating to cultural heritage in the light of ratified international conventions (OUV, Attributes, HIA, HUL, Preventive Archeology , etc.);
- A reflection on new modes of management and governance of cultural heritage, such as the creation of Local Development Companies;
- The incorporation of a definition of the concept of a development and safeguard plan into the Urban Planning Law.;
- The establishment of mechanisms allowing for cooperation and participation of civil society and citizens in the management and safeguarding of cultural heritage;
- Revision of inventory, registration and filing procedures for greater efficiency and effectiveness.